i hate braided headband, i love ribbon headband
Play up an updo with a modern take on the headband! How to get the look:
1. Brush hair into a high ponytail, then secure it with an elastic.
2. Wrap the tail around the base and pin it securely.
3. Mist all of your hair with hairspray.
4. Wrap three black ribbons ($1 per yard at most fabric stores) around your head, spacing them an inch apart.
5. Tie all into one bow at the nape of your neck, and voilà — instantly chic!
Let's make a ribbon headband!
2 elastic pony-tail holders
36 inches Ribbon (or longer)
Step 1: Cut at least one yard of ribbon and put fray check (or clear nail polish) on the cut ends so the ribbon doesn't fray.
Step 2: Interlace the two pony-tail holders as shown in the pictures. Then measure the pony-tail holders from end to end by stretching lightly. You don't want to stretch them tight or the headband will be too tight and pull back off the head. Mine had a stretch of 4 inches.
Step3: Now for some math. Yikes! Measure around your head or your daughter's head to find the overall measurement. Subtract the pony-tail stretch measurement from that. This gives you the total amount of ribbon you need to go around your head. Half this measurement. This is your total
. (For my head the half measurement was 9 inches, for my younger daughters it was 7.5 inches) Fold ribbon in half and place the fold at the end of a yard stick. Measure the total
measurement from the fold and mark with a pin on each strand of ribbon.
Step 4: Thread the left end of the ribbon through the pony-tail holder as shown. Pull until you get to the pin.
Step 5: Fold the ribbon so the right sides are together and sew close to the pony-tail holder.
Step 6: Thread the right end of the ribbon through the other pony-tail holder as shown, pull until you get to the pin, and follow step 5 again.
That's it! Your headband should look like this.
The extra ribbon is for ties. You can make the ties as long as you want but make sure they are at least 9 inches long for a good tie.
(from http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com)and you can try this one too
How To Make An Inexpensive Ribbon Headband
How To Make An Inexpensive Ribbon Headband: In a world where fashion is so mass-produced, it can be hard sometimes to find a unique wardrobe. One of the best ways to add some originality to your look is to create it yourself. So follow VideoJug's guide and learn how to make an inexpensive ribbon headband.
You will need
- Step 1:
- In order to cut the right length of ribbon, measure your head with a measuring tape where the headband will be positioned. Cut the ribbon two inches less than this measurement.
- Step 2:
Stop The Fray
- Once you cut the ribbon to the correct size, dab some anti fray solution onto the ends of the ribbon so it doesn't fray. You can find anti fray solution at a sewing store or in the glue section of a craft store.
- Step 3:
Make It Stretch
- After you've let the anti fray solution dry on either end of the ribbon, connect one end of the ribbon with an end of the elastic. With a needle and thread, make several stitches back and forth through the ribbon. If you're not great with a needle and thread, ask a relative or a tailor to do it for you. It would take them just a couple minutes and will probably do it gratis. Before doing the same to the other side, check the fit. If it's not snug on your head, trim the ribbon and/or the elastic to make it a little tighter. Then repeat this step for the other side of the ribbon.